Thursday, March 22, 2007

Wipe that look off your face!!

Yesterday, I was talking to one of my professors about skin cancer, san francisco and other life-related stuff. Like a good caring faculty member he asked about my future plans and where I planned to take the Bar. I mentioned that I didn’t have a job lined up *yet* but I felt California was the place for me and I intended to take the California Bar. In response, he gave me that look.
The look. The one that says, “Are you crazy? Do you enjoy inflicting unnecessary pain on yourself? Do you really think you can pass?? Don’t you know how many people FAIL that exam?? Haven’t you heard how difficult the California Bar is?? Although I won’t say it aloud, you’re a complete idiot and since you don’t have a job and technically don’t need to take that bar, you should probably reconsider… Are you sure you’re thinking clearly? because, what i’m hearing sounds like the ramblings of one f&^*$(#d raving lunatic.” THAT look.

And then, as if the look wasn’t enough, he groaned.

Thank you. Thank you for that vote of confidence. I KNOW the reality of the California Bar. I’ve seen the numbers, heard the stories, talked to the passers and re-takers. I KNOW that the Bar is hard. BUT - I know that people pass it. I know that it’s possible to pass. And I know that I’m capable of passing it. It’s not guaranteed, but I believe I can do it. When you talk about taking the California Bar, the look is the general reaction you get from others. WHY?!? As a third-year law student, less than 2 months away from graduation, the last thing I need is for someone to poke at my self-esteem with their doubt stick. When I talk about the Bar, don’t give me that expression (a mingling of shock/fear/distress/concern for my sanity) and groan. Instead, say, “Wow! That’s great! I hear it’s hard but I know you’re capable of doing what’s necessary to pass it.” Granted, i’ll probably write you off and offer my own rendition of the look, but HEY that’s my perogative. *I’m* the one taking the thing and am therefore entitled to complain about it all I want!! It’s sort of like voting, right? If you vote, you get to complain about the outcome. If you didn’t, don’t talk to me. If you’re not taking the CA Bar, don’t talk to me about how hard, impossible and soulsucking it is going to be. And, please, whatever you do, don’t give me that look.

No comments: