Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Truth shall set you free

I want to mail my Moral Character & Fitness App tomorrow, but there are a few lingering questions. How truthful should I be in the application? I don’t mean that i’m considering lying at all on the app, but when they ask a simple question, do you JUST answer the question, or do you respond with everything but the kitchen sink? For example, if they ask - “Have you ever been diagnosed with a mental illness/disease, including depression?” do you respond “No” or do you respond “No, I’ve never been diagnosed with depression, but I see a counselor/psychologist on a weekly basis and am currently taking herbs and vitamins to stabilize my mood swings.” I’d think that the latter is a more “truthful” answer, even though it goes into more detail than what is asked. Really, we are training to be lawyers here - you’d think they would tell us to only respond to the ”call of the question” or suggest that perhaps we adhere to the “spirit” of the question, which might elicit a reponse like the above. I feel comfortable saying that I’m a relatively moral person, and there is only one question that makes me second-guess my reponse (thankfully, it is not anything to do with mental illness!), so I’m not too worried. More horrible than failing the Bar, though, would be failing the Moral Character & Fitness requirement because I didn’t disclose something I felt was unnecessary, yet there were facts the Committee wanted to know.

I wonder if I should also disclose the feelings of jealousy and bitterness I’m experiencing towards those who have post-graduation jobs, with big pst-graduation salaries, whose firms are paying for their post-graduation bar study courses, who are able to spend all their pre-graduation money NOW going out to dinner, shopping, enjoying life because they know there will be more money in the bank tomorrow. I added up my loans tonight, and - without including some interest - they total approximately $106,000. It’s hard to be excited about the next few months (or even this weekend) looking at that enormous amount and then at the miniscule amount in my checking account. I wish life wasn’t all about money. I wish so many of my decisions weren’t based on how much money I have. I know that I’ll get a job eventually and everything will work out - it always does. But…. this definitely has not been as easy as I’d hoped it would be.

2 comments:

Bill Business said...

When does it end? First the MPRE to measure ethics, and now a moral character exam? What's next, are they going to interview my Rabbi? Either way, I tried to be as brief as possible with the moral character app, given it was 837 pages long. And I totally feel you about looking at all my friends with post-grad jobs/money, and looking at my 6 figure debt. No fun at all, but it will work out.

Anonymous said...

What's Happening i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It positively useful and
it has helped me out loads. I hope to give a contribution & help different users like its helped me.
Good job.
Also visit my weblog - snowboard shops new brunswick