Monday, April 9, 2007

First Peek at the Performance Test

I checked out the July 2006 Performance Test last night. California is one of a handful of states that includes “Performance Tests” as part of the Bar. (I think this is also why California is three days of testing instead of two.) In the PT, you are asked to write some sort of a legal document using a packet of materials they give you (your “library”). You might be asked to write a memo of points & authorities, a client letter, an objective memo, etc.

PT’s from past years are posted on the CA Bar website. So, I thought maybe I would print out the July ‘06 one and read through it, just to get an idea of what the PT’s were like. **98 PAGES** I knew that they provided you with a “packet” of material, but for some reason, my brain didn’t translate that into 98 PAGES. I feel like there has to be some sort of strategy to this. I’ve heard that the PT can be the easiest part of the Bar because everything you need to know is provided there in the packet. BUT - I’ve also heard that it can be difficult for people to finish on time (you get 3hrs). So, it could be a really great way to bump up your exam score, or you could get screwed. Once I saw the PT was 98 pages, I just skimmed through the instructions to see what the assignment was, and closed it out.

I know that once I actually start studying for the Bar, my mental state will *hopefully* progress to where looking at 98 pages doesn’t overwhelm me so much. I’ve heard that the MBE, too, is basically a 100 page book - 2 questions per page. Again, a little overwhelming to think about. When the PT opened in Adobe, my brain shriveled up and said “NO, I’m NOT reading that or thinking about it!” My brain actually shuddered. I’m hoping that this summer, it will reach out to the law with open arms… Embracing theories of liability and elements of crimes and all those property rules I can never remember. Maybe I can even convince it to have a sexy little summer fling with Chemerinsky (or at least his con law supplement). After all, law is HOT. Stimulating. VIRILE. Passionate. I am lusting for legal knowledge… Tonight, I just wish it came packaged in something other than a casebook.

1 comment:

H said...

Good luck in your prep. I moved to the Bay Area from NY in January and took the Feb CA bar.

Still waiting with my fingers crossed!